
On May 12 2025 when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi faced the cameras and proclaimed Operation Sindoor a historic victory, the visual was flawless a firm leader, targeted airstrike success, a nation filled with pride. Indian missiles had already hit the targets in Pakistan’s territory in 23 minutes bombing -the areas attacked were nine- the most brazen attack across the border since the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971. The BJP’s media machinery put in an extraordinary effort. The story was already established. However, after 11 months, that story is falling apart with each leaked briefing, stalled arms deal and Pakistani diplomat.
The Ceasefire Nobody in New Delhi Announced
The first crack appeared not on a battlefield, but on Truth Social. On May 10, 2025 the third day of Operation Sindoor Donald Trump had a post on the topic wherein he said he arranged a ceasefire between India and Pakistan. Not South Block. The President of the United States, on his personal social media account, announced the end of India’s military campaign before India did.
Indian officials scrambled. Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri held an emergency briefing insisting the ceasefire was reached through direct military-to-military channels, “on Pakistan’s insistence.” Modi’s office pushed the same line. But Trump, who has since claimed credit for the ceasefire over 30 times by multiple counts, never stopped posting. And Modi never publicly called him out.
The opposition pounced. In a Lok Sabha debate, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi challenged Modi to call Trump’s claims false if he had “half the courage of Indira Gandhi.” Modi declined. The silence spoke volumes.
The consequences were not merely reputational. By announcing the ceasefire ahead of India, Trump had. in one post, hyphenated India and Pakistan as equals, undoing decades of painstaking Indian diplomacy that had sought to position Islamabad as a rogue terror sponsor and New Delhi as a responsible rising power. That distinction, once India’s most prized diplomatic achievement, evaporated in 280 characters.
India’s Prized Rafale Jets
The second fracture is a story told in denials. Pakistan’s military claimed it had shot down five Indian aircraft during the conflict, including three Rafale fighters, using Chinese-made PL-15E beyond-visual-range missiles fired from J-10C jets. India’s official position: no comment. The Indian Air Force refused to confirm or deny aircraft losses for weeks.
Then the contradictions began piling up. India’s own Defence Attaché to Indonesia, Navy Captain Shiv Kumar, told a seminar that India “did lose some aircraft” on the opening day — attributing it to political constraints that initially barred strikes on Pakistani military infrastructure. India’s Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan acknowledged losses at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore. But when the Indian parliament asked Defence Minister Rajnath Singh directly, he said answering would not serve “national interests.”
Meanwhile, Dassault Aviation, maker of the Rafale, found itself in a peculiar double-bind. The French manufacturer publicly called Pakistan’s three-Rafale claim “inaccurate.” But French intelligence officials, cited by CNN, privately suggested at least one Rafale had been lost. Then a French website quoted Dassault’s CEO admitting one jet was lost to a “high-altitude technical failure.” Dassault then denied the CEO had made any operational comments at all.
France’s discomfort extended beyond spin management. In a development with billion-dollar consequences, Paris formally refused to hand over the Rafale’s source codes, the software backbone governing its radar, electronic warfare suite, and mission computer. Indian media called it buying a fighter jet “without a brain.” A proposed $40 billion deal for 114 additional Rafales is now stalled, with India unable to independently integrate its own missiles onto jets it already flies.
Pakistan’s Unexpected Reinvention
Perhaps the most damaging development for Modi’s post-Sindoor narrative has unfolded not in South Asia, but in Washington and Tehran. After the conflict, Pakistan’s Army Chief General Asim Munir was promoted to Field Marshal. Pakistan formally nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. Then Munir was invited to a private White House lunch, followed by an Oval Office meeting alongside Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif. The relationship deepened fast.
By spring 2026, when American and Iranian forces exchanged strikes across the Middle East, it was Pakistan — not India, not any European ally, that Washington turned to as its back-channel to Tehran. Islamabad relayed American peace proposals to Iranian officials. Pakistan-flagged tankers transited the Strait of Hormuz as a goodwill gesture. A ceasefire followed.
The country that Modi had publicly branded a terror-sponsoring state was now brokering peace between nuclear powers. Its rehabilitation at the highest levels of global diplomacy was, as analysts at the Chatham House noted, “nothing short of a dazzling reinvention.”
For India, the math is brutal. Every room Pakistan enters with credibility is a room where India’s decade-long effort to isolate it becomes harder to prosecute. Every Trump-Munir photo-op is a diplomatic cost India pays in silence.
The Asymmetry of Aftermath
India is not without its gains. The strikes demonstrated genuine military reach. The S-400 air defense system performed. Trade deals with the UK and EU were accelerated. Modi’s domestic approval held. But the geopolitical ledger tells a more sobering story.
US tariffs on Indian exports escalated sharply through 2025. India’s fighter squadron strength sits at 31 against a sanctioned requirement of 42. Its most expensive aircraft flies on French permission. Its most important strategic partner announced its ceasefire for it. And the country it went to war with is now mediating between Washington and Tehran. Operation Sindoor was not a failure of military execution. It was a masterclass in winning the first news cycle and losing the strategic aftermath. The missiles landed. The narrative didn’t.